Squeezer – Karl Howe, with founding member Dave Czepanski
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
The Squeezer Project originally began as a collaboration project between Auckland musicians Karl Howe and Dave Czepanski. The name Squeezer came around because due to other commitments, the duo would always be squeezing in little recording projects whenever possible, which would later grow into finished tracks. Soon, other local artists (and some from around the globe) were starting to contribute. Due to other commitments, Dave took leave of the project and Karl continued on under the name Squeezer.
In late 2009, Squeezer’s live debut came at the E S C A P E live electronica event. Each new track written had the word “Juice” in the title and Squeezer was picked up by Newclear after several collaborative projects with Ivan VukoviÄ‡ (nsu).
The music style has gone through an evolution starting off as an eclectic mix of big beat, jazz and techno. Trance is where the style has settled but more mainstream and not progressive, with a nod to chill-out. There are some big new tracks on the brew and Squeezer is working towards an album. It is exciting times for both Squeezer and Newclear!
- NCMR011EP – Chilled Juice – Remixes (EP, forthcoming)
- NCMR001DS-X – Juice of Life (Single, Jan 2014)
- NCMR005EP – Pure Juice – Remixes (EP, Aug 2011)
- NCMR008EP – nsu – The Last Sunrise – Remixes (EP, Dec 2012)
Soul Science – Matt Turner and John Clark
Location:Â Auckland, New Zealand
Soul Science (aka Soulscience) are Auckland based Producer DJ’s Matt “Romantech” Turner and John “Control” Clark.
Matt and John have been producing Drum and Bass together since 2006 after forming Full Circle Promotions to promote Drum and Bass gigs in Auckland after the conclusion of both the Data:Bass and DBA promotion of gigs. Soul Science have performed as support for DJ Hype, DJ A-Sides, Artificial Intelligence, and Greg Packer.
Soul Science was formally introduced as a production partnership in late 2009 with the release of their mixtape “Dojo Inspectors” featuring a mix of 31 demo tracks, and in early 2011 the official first release “Power Supply / Low Key” was made available through Lithuania’s Ambra Recordings.
Having collaborated with nsu on radio, previous remixes and compilation projects, Soul Science made their debut for Newclear Music in April 2011 with their tribal jungle remix of nsu and Squeezer’s “Juice of Life”. Soul Science have gone on to release with UK’s Rotation Deep, Brazil’s DNBB Recordings, Poland’s Monochrome Recordings, Germany’s BF Recordings and have a major new release forthcoming on Liquid Drops in 2014, as well a string of giveaways and bootlegs under their belts.
Known primarily for deeper atmospheric styles and textbook “liquid funk” that incorporates melodic elements of funk, jazz and ambient, Matt and John have strived to refine their sound from their broader full spectrum roots to distinct avenues – sometimes minimal (“The Last Sunrise” remix), sometimes dubby (“Juice of Life” remix, Positive Vibes), sometimes funky (“Positive Vibes” remix) and occasionally grappling with a more high energy dancefloor drum and bass sound (“Pure Juice” and “Meatgrinder” remixes) and even a well receivedÂ jungle remix of “Higher” by Stray Theories.
2014 also sees the release of “Positive Vibes” – the first Soul Science original to be given the remix treatment by the Newclear family.
- NCMR010EP – Positive Vibes – Remixes (EP, forthcoming)
- NCMR001DS-X – nsu & Squeezer – Juice of Life (Single, Jan 2014)
- NCMR009EPÂ â€“Â RoadkillÂ â€“Â MeatgrinderÂ â€“ Remixes (EP, Jun 2013)
- NCMR008EP – nsu – The Last Sunrise – Remixes (EP, Dec 2012)
- NCMR007EPÂ â€“Â Stray TheoriesÂ â€“Â HigherÂ â€“ Remixes (EP, Jun 2012)
- NCMR006LP – nsu – RescapÃ©Â (Remix album, Apr 2011)
- NCMR005EPÂ â€“Â SqueezerÂ â€“Â Pure JuiceÂ â€“ Remixes (EP, Aug 2011)
nsu – Ivan VukoviÄ‡
Location: Belgrade/Novi Sad, Serbia
nsu is Ivan VukoviÄ‡: Producer and live electronic act, hailing from Novi Sad (Serbia), whose story as a musician begins in Auckland, New Zealand.
In late 2009, after years of running his own radio show on UP FM and a number of demos and collaborations, he began to release his own music independently through his small imprint, newclearmusic.com, most notably the “Escape” EP. What followed was a stack of releases and live gigs, and even a groundbreaking music video for “Panic Bells”, collaborating with the talented video director and producer Aleksandar Janev.
His approach as an artist has been to methodically pull elements out of genres as diverse as breakbeat, ambient, acid house, dubstep, reggae and techno, and mould them into his own concepts, resulting in a sound that can only be described in broad terms as electronic. Yet his tastes and influences go far beyond the ‘bleeps’, ‘wobbles’ and ‘oonsts’ of dance music. He doesn’t believe in the “current sound” – he is more interested in what can be perceived as “timeless”…
In early 2011, nsu moved back to Serbia to start a new life; the same year, he pioneered his largest collaborative project to date – a downbeat/chill-out/ambient concept remix album, entitled “RescapÃ©”. A year later, he joined the Audio Colours crew in Novi Sad, and began to pick up on new influences for his sound, and since early 2013 has been workingÂ on new material for the Resurrection EP, and the releases to follow in 2016.
- NCMR013EP – ResurrectionÂ EPÂ (Dec 2015)
- NCMR001DS-X – Juice of Life (single, Jan 2014)
- NCMR008EP – The Last Sunrise – Remixes (EP, Dec 2012)
- NCMF011DD – Archeology Volume One (Compilation, Oct 2012)
- NCMR006LP – RescapÃ©Â (Remix album, Apr 2011)
- NCMR004DS – Upside Down – Remixes (Remix single, Nov 2010)
- NCMR003DS – Panic Bells – Remixes (Remix single, Apr 2010)
- NCMR002EP – Escape EP (Dec 2009)
- NCMR012EP – Nikolozi – Counter – Remixes (EP, Dec 2014)
- NCMR011EP – Squeezer – Chilled Juice – Remixes (EP, Sep 2014)
- NCMR010EP – Soul Science – Positive Vibes – Remixes (EP, May 2014)
- NCMR009EP – Roadkill – Meatgrinder – Remixes (EP, Jun 2013)
- NCMR007EP – Stray Theories – Higher – Remixes (EP, Jun 2012)
- NCMR005EP – Squeezer – Pure Juice – Remixes (EP, Aug 2011)